Wednesday, December 2, 2009

London.1 - an interest in fashion

While the weekend spent in London included more than enough opportunities for shopping, sightseeing and discovering the local clubbing scene, I managed to dedicate a good amount of time to something which my mother would refer to as a 'good investment for the future': touring universities. And although that implied spending a lot of time in cozy common rooms, indulging in biscuits and coffee and chatting with various members of the faculty and the administrative staff, I was also delighted to gain an insight into what real uni life boils down to.

Just for the heck of it (and because the Journalism Department wasn't giving tours that day), I travelled straight from Stansted airport to visit the Open Day for Fashion Design at the Harrow campus of the University of Westminster. What I encountered was a group of open-minded, independent-thinking and friendly students, sputtering with creativity. I also learned more about fashion, its history, and the complexity of tailoring than Vogue could ever teach me. If you get the chance to attend a similar event at the university of your choice, go for it! Trust me, it'll be worth it.